‘This is a Death Sentence!’ Blind 82 Year-Old Laments Government’s Move to Demolish His House

Dr Chuks Osuji, an 82-year-old man has decried the Imo state government’s move to demolish his house in the ongoing road expansion project in Owerri, calling it a “death sentence.” The octogenarian who happens to be blind, has threatened to die in the rubble of his house, if government follows through with its intentions.


Osuji who according to Vanguard complained there has been no talks of compensation despite the fact that his building which has been marked ‘remove’ was approved by Owerri Capital Development Authority, OCDA – the organisation in charge of the demolition. He also noted that the house met all regulatory standards when it was built 22 years ago.
“There was no engagement for payment of compensation to me now or in the future. It is on the strength of that I want to alert the public on the injustice. Pulling down the house where I have my PR communication outfit, which employs some Imo youths and also get income to sustain my family will adversely affect me. 
“As a very senior citizen in my 80s, frail and weak, pulling down this my house is tantamount to sentencing me to death. “My choice will be to allow the building to collapse on me if that is what the authority wants. I was made to understand that yesterday, OCDA staff came and marked my little building at number 54 Mbaise Road by Amaram Street ‘remove’. 
“I built this little house 22 years ago, when I had my sight and was active. The house met all statutory requirements and was approved by OCDA. I am now a senior citizen with full vision impairment and a national awards recipient; if this my house is pull down, where will I go?”
Dr Osuji who once served as the Director-General of Imo State Mass Mobilisation Agency has pleaded with Governor Rochas Okorocha to spare his house on compassionate grounds.
“I came home 36 years ago from the United States to help develop my society and have paid my dues. I deserve no raw deal after all my services to my fatherland,” he said.
OJPals, what do you think? Sound off below!

@OJ’s Blog EXCLUSIVE
Email: olumidejohnson.blogs@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slavery: See How White Slave Traders Dehumanised Naked Black Slave Women

Get in Here, Ladies! Tyson Beckford Strips for Massive Eggplant Selfie on Instagram; Fans React

‘Queen of SnapChat’ YesJulz Sex Tape Hits the Internet, and it’s Horrible